Monday, January 10, 2011

Crystals

We tried to make crystals last Friday afternoon. Some of them worked wonderfully, others didn't. The students requested that I give them the instructions for making them at home. Rather than type them up, I am including a link to a website that has the instructions.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/crystals.htm

We made two different types of crystals. The first we did was the salt crystal garden, which is the first one listed. It worked very well. Be careful, however, it did grow on the bowl we used, and it is very fragile and will break if touched. We didn't put food coloring on it, but I know that it does look cool when you do.

The second kind of crystals we tried were Washing Soda Snowflakes. We used actual washing soda as it instructs, and the other fourth grade classes used borax. They both work, they just create different size and shape crystals.

I haven't tried any of the other ones on this website, but they look like they could be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment